2016 Is Dead – All Hail 2017
Pretty safe to say 2016 was a tougher year than most, but that’s not to say it didn’t have it’s fair share of highlights. I might have been living out of a backpack for most of it, but that didn’t stop me from:
- Being locked in a box for a week pretending to be Mark Watney;
- Touring through 7 countries with a comedy show about how moving to Mars is ruining my love life on Earth already;
- Chasing tornadoes across the US Mid-West like Dorothy;
- Helping lead a team of more than 30 space industry professionals for 2 months in Israel, investigating how we can use what we know about Mars to safely send people there.
- Seeing all four of the Space Shuttles, a landed Falcon 9 booster, meeting an Apollo astronaut at Kennedy Space Center, touring SpaceX headquarters or squealing like a schoolgirl during Elon Musk’s talk in Guadalajara, Mexico.
But it looks like 2016 was really just a warm up, with 2017 already shaping up to be even more exciting again.
- With US$6 million in funding secured Mars One’s selection process is finally moving forward, selecting 18-36 people who will then start training for the first mission. They’re also re-opening for new applications!
- I’ll be speaking alongside HI-SEAS IV Commander Carmel Johnston at the WOMADelaide Planet Talks about living on Mars
- And a whole bundle of other projects you’ll have to become a Patron to read about 😉
And somewhere in among all this chaos I’ve managed to launch my new website at joshrichards.space as well. If you’ve missed them, here’s everything I’ve posted publicly over the last month;
- “News – Tabula Rasa” – Explaining the transition from themightyginge.com to joshrichards.space as well as a brief intro to the new site
- “Personal – Waiting” – An inside look at the lengthy process & personal strain of applying & waiting to hear back about selection programs for HI-SEAS and Mars One
- “Space – The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Mars One] Update” – Exactly what it says on the tin, offering a full round up of the huge amount of news from Mars One in December
- “[Private Journal] End of Year Review” – An insight into one of my personal journal entries, normally reserved to Patrons contributing $25/month or more
For those of you supporting me on Patreon you’ve had several weeks early access to all the public posts, as well as;
- “Reading, Watching & Listening – December 2016” A look at what I was using to help influence my writing last month
- “Reading, Watching & Listening – January 2017” What I’m reading, watching & listening to that’s helping influence my writing now
- “Mischief in 2017” An exclusive insight into the raft of projects I’ve got brewing that aren’t being shared publicly yet
- “Dear Josh in 2020” A personal letter to my future self involving Dave Grohl, Ghostbusters, and a gypsy psychic from New Orleans
- “28 November 2016” A private journal entry about keeping perspective that was the seed for the post “Waiting”
It’s been a great first month on Patreon, with people contributing high and low to read more of what’s going on behind the scenes. I’ve spent most of the last 3 weeks transcribing 5 years of my journals, and now that I’ve redacted some of the names I’m much more comfortable sharing them. So to celebrate I’ve decided to remove the $50/month patron level altogether, making the journals available at the $25/month level!
- Early access to my “Becoming Martian” book drafts,
- A personal acknowledgement in the final book,
- A digital copy AND a signed paperback copy when it’s published,
- AND all the private journal entries and other private content I share.
So for all the ups and downs of last year, I hope you’re ready for the incredible rollercoaster that 2017 is shaping up to be. Keep an eye on the website for regular posts, Patreon for the latest news, as well as Facebook & Twitter – I’m looking forward to sharing some incredible adventures with you all in 2017!