Sh-lippery sh-lippery Sh-eptember
I’ll be honest – at this point I’ve pretty much lost my mind.The last 6 months have been so unbelievably out of control, I’ve barely been able to keep track of where I am and where I need to be next. I hate the word “busy”, but it’s safe to say I’ve been spending more time doing stuff than has been healthy.
Thankfully the end is in sight. My work as a media ambassador to National Science Week is now over after 50+ interviews in the space of 4 days, my first book Becoming Martian has been published (head to www.becomingmartian.com if you haven’t ordered your copy yet!) with book launch events in Perth and Sydney, and yesterday I submitted my final paper for the 2017 International Astronautical Congress 2017 on using comedians and storytellers to communicate space science to the public!
All I have left now is to present that paper in Adelaide at the end of the month, and then I have NOTHING planned!
Ofcourse I say “nothing” but what I really means is “I don’t have any thing booked for weeks and fully intend to spend at least a month hiding away in some isolated log cabin away from humans – sleeping in every day, eating better and exercising, and writing heaps… like the Unabomber“. So while all my focus has been on writing and publishing Becoming Martian the last few months, I’m really excited about returning to the basics and getting back to publishing on Patreon and joshrichards.space with a little more consistency this month!
Which means September promises to be a particularly good month if you’re a Patreon supporter!
For those of you already supporting on Patreon, you’ve been plenty of sneak peaks of Becoming Martian along with a bunch of exclusive content;
- Patron Only – Becoming Martian Cover Sneak Peek – An early look at the cover of Becoming Martian three weeks before it was officially published!
- Patron Only – Becoming Martian Available Now – There’s absolutely no way Becoming Martian could have been written or published without my amazing supporters on Patreon. To say thanks, I sent signed copies to every one and made the digital version available for free to ALL supporters forever! It’s always nice to give more than expected 🙂
- Patreon Giveaway #2 – As promised I had even more goodies to send out to all my supporters on Patreon to celebrate the release of Becoming Martian! Rather than draw names out of a hat like my previous giveaway, this time I sent things out individually to who ever among my supporters would appreciate each prize the most
- [Journal] Approaching the End of 2015 – 7 December 2015 – A journal entry from late 2015 when I was winding up all my commitments in Melbourne after an incredibly trans-formative year, but also gearing up for the incredible journey that 2016 would bring. It should come as no surprise that after the trans-formative chaos of 2017 I’m in a very similar space right now, ready for what surprises 2018 will bring.
- Reading, Watching & Listening – September 2017 After missing out on this monthly posts in July and August, this is a hefty update of what I’ve been reading, watching and listening to through the travel/national science week/book publishing chaos.
- Space – IAC Paper: Using Comedians and Storytellers for Wide-Spread Public Engagement With Space – While most authors for the International Astronautical Congress sign over copyright to their papers to the conference organisers, I retained the copyright so my Patreon supporters can read it right now!
I’m really proud to say I’ve now published my first book, and it’s launch for National Science Week was an incredible success… but I’m also really grateful that the whole process is nearly over so in October I can get back to what I truly love: avoiding human contact, living like a prepper and writing manifes… errrr… articles. Many articles. Yup.
Between now and then there’s still five days of space industry chaos at IAC2017 though. With promising rumblings from Mars One, Australian space industry roundtable meetings and other awesome opportunities emerging, the final months of 2017 are still sure to be eventful no matter how much I try to disappear – keep an eye on the www.joshrichards.space for regular posts, Patreon for the latest news, as well as my usual nonsense on Facebook & Twitter!